Tuesday, October 8, 2013

"Conference was SO good!"

Dear Mom,

It's so hard to believe that I've already been gone for a whole month!! There's so much that goes on here and life is so busy that everyday feels like an eternity, but when I look back on the week it's just a blink of an eye!

Life is going absolutely great! I think this past week has been my best week so far, and I think a big part of that was General Conference! It was SO good!! I wish I brought my notes to the computer so I could share all of the revelations and insights I had, but I remember the biggest ones so I can share a few thoughts on those. I think one of my favorite talks was Edward Dube's. He was very straight forward, and expressed the importance of looking forward with faith and not dwelling on the past. It felt like a lot of talks were centered on missionary work this conference, but maybe I just noticed it more because I'm on a mission, haha. Another talk I really enjoyed was L. Tom Perry's, because he expounded a lot on what my MTC teacher Irmão Laws has been teaching us about, which is to learn and understand the doctrines and principles of the Gospel before applying and teaching them. And of course I'm sure Pres. Uchtdorf's line "Doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith" has gone viral by now, haha. What a motivating talk! Everyone has something to give, whether it be time, talents, gifts, or service.

Those were just a few of the many things that stood out to me this conference. Maybe I'll have to send another letter to share more of the details. Also, a scripture that really stood out to me in some of my personal reading last week is 2 Nephi 10:23. It's so simple: cheer up! I can choose to be happy! It's really helpful whenever I'm feeling kinda droopy (which 2 Nephi 4:28-35 helps with a lot too. Lehi's last testimony)

As for the snow, we haven't had any hit the ground, but it is definitely getting colder and the mountains are capped with snow, so it's coming! Also, I'm hoping I see (Sister) Elizabeth Davis tomorrow! I'm looking forward to that! Seems like I just came in yesterday for my first day, haha.
I believe Elder Young and the rest of his district get their reassignments this Thursday, and--if I don't get my visa in the next week--I'll be reassigned next Thursday along with the rest of district. If anyone wants to guess where I'm going, send it in the next e-mail and I'll let you know when I get it! It's sort of like getting another call letter! Haha, but hopefully I'm not delayed for too long. I want to get to Brazil ASAP! I don't want to lose any of the Portuguese I've learned, haha.

Anyway, I hope everything continues to go well back home! Give the family my love :) Have a good stake conference too!

Love,
Michael

Elder Kamilos and Samuel Smith, the first Latter-day missionary!

No comments:

Post a Comment